My daughter & I are riding our bikes together just about everyday. I carry my phone with me to record our distance via a biking app. I've tried carrying my phone in a small cross body purse or on one looped around the handle bars. Both caused other issues. With the hot summer weather I've also started carrying a tall bottle filled with ice water. I've hooked that to my brake line, but that poses a safety issue. Time for some problem solving! I thought of sewing a custom basket, but I didn't want the condensation from the water bottle to get into the fabric and spread to my phone. I didn't want a traditional sort of basket because I don't want to hit a bump and have my phone pop out. So what was my solution? Use food storage bags.
I used the following supplies: coffee bean bag, chocolate candy bag, cable ties, sticky back velcro, scissors, and hot glue gun (not pictured).
I started with the water bottle bag. I glued the back seam down, folded down the top edge of the bag and glued, cut 2 slits to attach and reinforced the surrounding area with glue.
Then I attached it to one side of the handle bars with cable ties. Then I repeated the process with the candy bag to hold my phone, but I added a flap that is held closed with velcro. I also reinforced the bottom of the bag.
I really love how it turned out!! I put them on the inside of the handle bars so that I have easy access. My knees do not hit them when I ride.
I love being able to quickly get a drink when I ride!! Not the prettiest thing from the front of the bike, but it's very practical and didn't cost me anything to make!!






