It been a while, but I finally have another sewing room post for you.
Ironing boards~ they drive me NUTS! They are so narrow and often seem wobbly. When I was setting up my new sewing room I knew that I wanted a bigger ironing board on wheels. I thought about altering some kind of shelving unit, but I couldn't find anything that I liked. Then I came across this cart at ReStore.
It was the perfect height and very solid. I enlisted my husbands help for this project. Here is how we made it.
DIY Ironing Cart
Supplies:
cart
plywood
pieces of 2x4
U-bolts
batting
Insul-Bright Batting
heavy canvas
saw & drill
staple gun
Directions:
Measure and cut plywood to desired size. Mine is 24"x36".
Determine where to attach wood supports. Cut to size and attach.
Add U-bolts to the cart. We drilled holes in the bottom of the supports to slide onto the ends of the bolts that were sticking up. We got placement right by marking the stop of the bolts with ink and pressing the top down to mark where to drill the holes.
We stapled 2 layers of regular batting over the plywood.
Staple a layer of Insul-Bright over the batting. Then cover with heavy canvas. Make sure to pull the fabric tight. We folded the corners in place.
I really wanted to use a fun print to add some color to my sewing room, but I didn't want any color from the fabric to bleed through from the heat. My canvas seemed to be slightly wrinkled, but we spritzed it with water and ran the iron over and over it and it tightened up and is completely flat.
I am really happy with how this turned out. I added a little plastic cart for storage.
Like my cutting counter, this ironing board is belly button height. I'm really happy with how it turned out! The entire project was $23.






