Daily Ramblings: Dutch Oven Apple Cinnamon Cake

SEARCH

Pages

Dutch Oven Apple Cinnamon Cake

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Back in June we had a big camping trip to Colorado for 18 days. I guess it's more glamping as we have a pop-up trailer. We might not have been sleeping on the ground but we had our fair share of pit potties, bugs, and no electricity. I want to share some of our campfire recipes. First is Apple Cinnamon Cake made in the dutch oven.
dutch oven apple cake

Dutch Oven Apple Cinnamon Cake

Ingredients 
Apple Cinnamon Muffin/Cake Mix (I got ours at Aldi)
Cup of Apple Sauce
1 Egg
dutch oven apple cake
Directions Create hot coals for the dutch oven. Line the dutch oven with foil and spray with some cooking spray. Mix the cake mix, apple sauce, and egg together.
dutch oven apple cake
Poor the cake batter into the foil lined dutch oven.
cake batter dutch oven
Our cake mix came with some crumb topping that I sprinkled on top.
dutch oven apple cake
Place lid on dutch oven, cover with coals, and bake for 20-28 minutes depending on your heat. We usually use our noses to know when to test for doneness. We could really smell a strong baking smell and when we pulled it out at 25 minutes it was burned along the bottom! Too much heat on the bottom. We still devoured it. It was moist and yummy.
dutch oven apple cake
The dutch oven we used has a 10 stamped on it. Last summer we used a 12 and really had issues with getting things to cook. We have joined custody of these dutch ovens with some friends of ours, but I would recommend a 10 for anyone who wants to buy one. Dutch oven recipes can also be done in the regular oven!
campfire recipes dutch oven
・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS ・

Featured

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.