This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and it's advertiser.
All opinions are mine alone. #HappyNewMe #CollectiveBias
I am ending 2014 on a high note. I have my family, everyone is healthy, and my husband and I are getting along better than ever. He and I have taken steps over the past few months to improve our communication and it's paying off. However, stress is not completely eliminated from our lives. Our two younger children are very busy kids with many extracurricular activities. Our 16 year old son is in jazz band, pep band, praise band, orchestra, and swim team. Our 9 year old daughter is in ballet, guitar, choir, and theater. I am the family organizer and taxi driver. I'm still in complete control of my daughter's schedule, but my son handles much of his own. Since swim team began a month ago, we've had several break downs in communication that has left my husband and I frustrated and stressed. Our son hasn't arrived home when he was supposed to, and he didn't let us know where he was or when he would get home. We've driven up to the school a few times to try and find him. We scold him when he get's home and then everyone has a rotten evening.All opinions are mine alone. #HappyNewMe #CollectiveBias
As the year ends, I reflect back to help me come up with goals for the new year. In 2015, I plan on improving communication with my teen. I think that this will strengthen our relationship, much like my husband and I have improved ours. It starts by getting my son a cell phone.
If you've read my blog before, you know that I am frugal. I haven't wanted to add my son to our cell phone plan due to cost. I need to be able to communicate with him when he's not home, so a cell phone is a must. I recently saw a TV commercial for Walmart Family Mobile with unlimited text, talk, and web for $34.88 ($29.88 for the second line) and decided to check it out. That monthly charge comes with 5GB of 3G Data, which is a huge amount for one person. I researched their phones and found that the Galaxy Exhibit is only $79.88. With the $25 starter kit, the cost to get an activated smart phone was just over $100.
We headed to Walmart, picked out the phone, and got it activated quickly by the in-store associate. She was super friendly and knowledgeable. The experience was very pleasant. You can see the hours posted in the photo above of when an associate from Walmart Wireless is available to help with your purchase and activation.
My son is very excited about his new phone. He wasn't able to go with us to pick it out, but once he had it in hand he realized that many of his friends at school have the identical phone. He was using it like a pro within minutes.
The purchase made an immediate impact on our communication. The very next day he was able to text me and let me know that practice was out early and to ask for a ride. He's also been diligent in texting me to update me on when we can expect him home on other days.
It isn't 2015 yet, but we are already experiencing and improved relationship though close communication. Last night he came over and sat next to me so that I could help him with one of those name the product logo apps. Awesome! Do you have any resolutions surrounding your relationships?



