Daily Ramblings: DIY Thread Bags

SEARCH

Pages

DIY Thread Bags

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Part of setting of my sewing room is organization and keeping it from being a mess. That means keeping on top of the trash. I got a little trash can from Dollar Tree for $1, but I don't want to reach over to it or move it all the time for thread & fabric scraps. My solution was to make some thread scrap bags~ one for the table between my embroidery & sewing machine and the other for my cutting counter.
I did a little research online and found this tutorial. I didn't want a pin cushion or slots to store supplies. I just wanted a weighted bag. I got a general idea of what size to cut my bag & liner and how to square the edges from that tutorial, but the rest was all me!

I cut an outer & liner that measured approximately 8"x14". Then I cut a strip 5"x18" for the weighted part.
I added an applique to the middle of the outer fabric.
Then I stitched up the side seam and rotated that to the center of the back before serging the bottom seam so that seam won't show in the final product.
 After the bottoms were squared off I stitched the outer to the liner.
I turned the bag right side out and folded down the edge and folded the liner over and stitched it down to complete the bag. I just love this little crab!!
Then I put the weight part together. I folded it in half with right sides together and serged the sides. I turned it right side out and filled it with rice.
I stitched the bag closed just below the rice (I put in a lot of pins in a line to hold the rice back while stitching) and then added a little piece of a dowel to give it support where I attached the bag.
I folded the bottom edge of the weight over and stitched it to the back both above and below the dowel.
All done!!
This post was featured at~
Threading My Way_Featured
・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS ・

Featured

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.