Daily Ramblings: Easy Hat Knitting on a Loom

SEARCH

Pages

Easy Hat Knitting on a Loom

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Easy Hat Knitting on a Loom
I'm a girl scout leader of a great groups of girls who love doing crafts. I have been trying to think of a craft that we could do that would also benefit charity. I came up with making hats on a knitting loom. Some of my parents thought it might be a little too much to take on, but I pointed out that this was just like making things on the rainbow loom.

We started our meeting out by having a parent talk about knitting, how she learned, and she showed us some of the things that she has made over the years. The girls asked lots of questions and really seemed interested in learning how to knit themselves. I gave each girl a loom, hook, needle, and a skein of yarn. I was able to teach them how to knit on the loom in a pretty short period a time.
I myself have never got into knitting so I just watched online tutorials videos to learn this really easy technique. The girls all caught on pretty quickly and got a really good start on making hats, before the meeting ended. I started them all out with a super bulky 6 yarn. It was very easy to work with and they didn't have to double their strands up. A few girls had to start over after a few rows because they were pulling it too tight, but that taught them the proper tension. Here are the first few hats we made.
The loom is really easy to use. You wrap the yarn around the pegs twice (or more depending on your design preference) and then pull the bottom layer up over the top. Then repeat the process with another row of loops, until you get the desired length. Here is my my daughter making herself a hat with the yarn I got her for Christmas. She's snuggled in bed listening to her Ipod.
It turned out cute!
The girls brought their completed hats to the meeting the other night. I am very pleased with hose they turned out. We are donating them to a local charity to give out to people in need.
I myself and loving these easy looms. I'm knocking out hats quickly while I have the TV on or while I'm waiting at kid activities. Do you knit? Have you been too intimated to learn? I highly recommend getting a set of round knitting looms. The Darice or Knifty Knitter brands are best. I've heard you should avoid the Boye because they are poorly made. I'm going to make myself some leg warmers out of the smallest loom soon!
This post contains Amazon affiliate links. I purchased mine at Amazon because they were the best price I could find.
・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS ・

Featured

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.