I decided that I am going to embroider a logo on a shirt and then do an alternating bulls eye dye around it. I picked up a new white v-neck shirt. After I machine washed and dried it, I embroidered the Chicago Cubs logo on the front of it.
After I removed the extra stabilizer, I tied the shirt. The technique is the same that used for the Minion Tie Dye shirt. I pinched the (wet) shirt in the middle of the logo. I didn't want any die on the logo at all, so I covered it with a plastic baggie held in place with a cable tie. I folded up the baggie along the bottom of the band and secured that with a rubber band. Then I wrapped rubber bands every few inches down the rest of the gathered shirt.
Then I liberally applied the dye, alternating the red and blue down the shirt. I made sure to leave a little gap between the dye and bands to avoid bleeding between the red and blue. I wrapped the shirt in a plastic bag and let it set on a flat surface for 24 hours. I died a pair of socks to match.
I have discovered that it's easier to rinse the dye outside with a hose. I left the ties on and rinsed until there was no more dye coming out. Then I cut off the ties and rinsed it more until the water ran clear.
I dry my dyed clothes before washing them to help set the color, although it seems like I still get fading. It does seem like the color is bolder if I use soda ash before dying. I use the Tulip kits, but I might need to try a different brand of dye. Any suggestions?
I'm so in love with my shirt. It's my new favorite!! I'll probably make another one with a long sleeved shirt. I will use a larger logo than on this one. Hopefully I'll have the need to wear it in October!!
I don't usually wear socks with capris (first photo), but I wanted you to see the cute matching socks. Love my bucket hat too!
This post contains affiliate links.









