Daily Ramblings: My Tie-Dye Bathroom Makeover + Tip

SEARCH

Pages

My Tie-Dye Bathroom Makeover + Tip

Thursday, October 8, 2015

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. 
All opinions are mine alone. #CraftedExperience #CollectiveBias

Are you tired of your bathroom, but can't afford to remodel? Give it a new look with colorful decor. This post also has a suggestion for dealing with the kids using your bath towels.
Tie-Dye Shower Curtain Tutorial #CraftedExperience AD #Makeover
Five years ago, we remodeled parts of our house. We had just returned from a family vacation to Alaska—and after planning for a few years and successfully completing our journey to and from The Last Frontier—we needed a new focus. Because we had been gone much of that summer, our house just felt out of date and boring to us when we returned home. We decided to remodel the kitchen and bathroom. Both were DIY projects, and we've been happy with the results.

Before the remodel, our bathroom had lavender wallpaper; horrible, dirty beige flooring; and a low vanity with ugly counter. We updated the look with a new, higher vanity cabinet, black countertop, white paint, white flooring, and a pretty, white Asian-influence shower curtain. However, since the remodel, we had gone through several sets of towels, and our shower curtain and rug had become dingy. I decided it was time for a change.

I didn’t have a budget to remodel again, so I opted to update the decor instead. Since I am a HUGE tie-dye fan, I thought it would be a blast to color our shower curtain. I picked out five colors to match the towels I had recently purchased to create a whole new look. It was fun and easy to do.
Tie-Dye Shower Curtain Tutorial

Supplies
white shower curtain
tie-dyes
soda ash
ties (I like to use cable ties)
plastic gloves
large piece of cardboard
large plastic bag

Directions
Wash your curtain. Soak in soda ash mixture for 10-15 minutes.
Prepare your dyes.
Fold/swirl the damp curtain into your desired pattern. I decided to do a swirl pattern, so I twisted my curtain from the center to form a tightly coiled circle. I used cable ties around the outside to hold the circle in place. Use a piece of cardboard to transfer the curtain to your dying spot. I used an old screen door placed on saw horses in my backyard.
Starting in the middle, swirl your dyes in desired order. Generously add the dye. Since my curtain was not very thick, I did not have to turn it over to dye the back. I simply added additional dye to the front. Wear gloves or your fingertips will be colored for days!
Place on cardboard or newspaper to soak up excess dye for a few minutes.
Transfer to a plastic bag. I used the cardboard to keep the curtain in place until I got it to my resting spot. Since it's best to let your dye soak in a place that is less than 70 degrees, I placed the bag in the laundry room.
Remove the cardboard, close the bag, and let the dye rest. I left mine for 24 hours.
Rinse the dye under cold water until the water runs clear.
Remove the ties and keep rinsing until the water is clear once more.
Wash in a hot cycle. Don't put too many tie-dye projects together in one load or the colors will get muddy.
Dry the curtain. I placed mine on our clothesline and it dried quickly.
I am so thrilled with how the curtain turned out. It's so bright and fun. I've been doing a lot of tie-dying over the past few months and most have faded. However, for this project, I bought some cold-water reactive powder dyes and mixed them myself. The colors remained bright after drying. I can't wait to do more projects!
Tie-Dye Shower Curtain Tutorial #CraftedExperience AD #DIY
Since bath towels just get gross after a while, we change ours every 12-18 months. A few years ago, I discovered a great hack for families who share one bathroom. I switched to using different colored towels for each person to stop the arguments over who has been using the other person's towel and to identify the person who leaves their towel on the floor. Each person gets his or her own color, and it makes bathroom life so much easier. I picked these new, bright towels first, then the dyes to match.
When I told a friend about my plan to update the bathroom, I complained to her that the bath tissue I had been purchasing for years seemed to have recently changed. It's as if they added air to the roll or something. We are now replacing the rolls every other day! My daughter even commented on how different the tissue is, too.

Time for a toilet-paper makeover! My friend suggested Quilted Northern. I decided to check it out and learned that Quilted Northern has been around for 100 years. It is designed to be strong, flexible, and soft for overall comfort. Two-ply Quilted Northern is even sewer and septic safe. I grabbed a six-pack at Walmart. My family commented that it's softer, and I'm glad each roll has lasted longer than two days!
Does your bathroom need a makeover? Do you fight over bath towels?
Tie-Dye Shower Curtain Tutorial #CraftedExperience AD #Bathroom #Makeover
This post contains an affiliate link.
・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS ・

Featured

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive