Daily Ramblings: My Keys to Our Successful Marriage

SEARCH

Pages

My Keys to Our Successful Marriage

Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Today marks 25 years of marriage for my hubby and I. It cracks me up that 25 is the silver anniversary. Over the years I've seen 25th anniversary plates, cakes, and decorations in silver and they struck me as so old. Like grandparent old, but I was probably lumping it together with 50th anniversary. I think my hubby and I look too young for silver!!
I've seen anniversary posts that include the keys to a successful marriage. I've never thought I could write up tips like that because each marriage is different. Although it does seem that the tips are similar from post to post. Today I am going to focus on the keys to our success.

We celebrate our accomplishments. We both come from families with a lot of divorce and dysfunction and the cards really started out stacked against us. We are proud of being married so long and we celebrate it. For our 20th we took a family trip to Alaska. If you've followed my blog very long, you know that we recently took a trip to San Diego (where we met and married) to celebrate 25. We have parties and celebrate other family events and accomplishments too.

We are on the same team. Not sure much explanation is needed here. We are in this together for the long haul and we approach life like that.

We've defined roles. It took time clarify our roles, and they change from time to time, but things run more smoothly when we stick to what we've said we would do. It's not always fun or easy, but there seems to be less arguments or ambiguity if we do. I know a lot of frustration and unspoken resentment occurs when someone feels like the other isn't doing what they are supposed to be doing. Communication is the key here!

We have similar interest and outlooks. Not every couple likes the same things. That is OK. Respect the other person's interests and find some common ground. We naturally have a similar outlook in life, so it makes it easier. I'm not sure how a couple that is so focused on the kids is going to do when the children grow up and move out. Our lives really do revolve around our kids and their activities, but we take time for us and our interests too.

We've endured those rough patches. 7-year itch is real. We really think that it's the multiples of 7-year itch. Things were tough at 7, 14, and 21 years, but we never considered getting out as an option. We don't see eye to eye on everything now, but we are very solid. We are as strong as ever right now, so I can't imagine an issue at 28 years, but you never know!
・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS ・

Featured

Followers

Total Pageviews

Powered by Blogger.