I recently found some Pumpkin Seed Tortilla Chips in the store. I am a huge fan of pumpkin, and while I tend to save that flavor for the fall, I was curious about the taste. They have a little bit of a pumpkin pie taste, but not overly sweet. They have a multi-grain taste and texture. I tried them with some regular salsa and they were good, but I wanted more flavor. Inspiration struck to create a pumpkin salsa. Since pumpkins are not in season yet, I decided to use canned pumpkin to create a blended salsa or sauce. I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Pumpkin Picante Sauce
1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 small red onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1/4 C cilantro, chopped
1-2 small jalapeno peppers
1/4 t cumin
2 T lime or lemon juice
salt & pepper
Place the tomato, red onion, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeno in a food processor or blender and blend well. Pour into a saucepan and add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and a lid, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Let cool. Store in jar with lid in the refrigerator. Can be canned for future use.
I really thought this would be spicy and it wasn't. I make a cranberry salsa with nearly the same ingredients, and it has a kick. I used one small jalapeno in this. I wonder if the pumpkin cools it down. Next time I will make it with more jalapeno.
I gave it to a few friends to try and they liked it, but agreed it could have more heat.




