Daily Ramblings: Rhubarb Cream Cake

SEARCH

Pages

Rhubarb Cream Cake

Monday, June 29, 2015

Here is an amazing recipe for a rhubarb cake that will have everyone asking for more. Even people who don't like rhubarb.
Rhubarb Cream Cake
About a month ago, I met a lady that I see biking around the neighborhood a lot. Her name is Hilda and she's a hoot. One day as we were riding I was talking about the Sweet Texas Caviar that I was making for a potluck. She told me about some old family recipes that I should try. She loaned me the recipe cards and gave me permission to post them here on my blog. The first one I tried was this Rhubarb Cake.
While I usually post cake recipes that utilize a mix, this is pretty straightforward and easy!

Rhubarb Cream Cake

by Diana Rambles via Hilda
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 75-85 minutes
Keywords: cake
Ingredients (24 servings)
    Crust
    • 1 C butter
    • 2 C flour
    • 2 tbsp. sugar
    Cream Filling
    • 5 C rhubarb
    • 6 egg yolks
    • 2 C sugar
    • 4 tbsp. flour
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 1 tsp. orange extract
    • 1 C heavy whipping cream
    Meringue
    • 6 egg whites
    • 12 tbsp. sugar
    • 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
    • 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
    Instructions

    For the Crust
    Soften the butter and mix with flour and sugar. Press into the bottom of a 9x13 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-13 minutes.

    For the Cream Filling
    Chop the rhubarb. Mix all ingredients and pour on top of the baked crust. Return to oven for 50-55 minutes.

    For the Meringue
    Whip the ingredients together, adding the sugar 2 tbsp. at a time. Keep whipping until thick and peaks form. Spoon over cream layer and return to oven for 15-17 minutes.
    Let cool completely before serving. Cover and store leftovers in refrigerator.
    Powered by Recipage
     photo rhubarb-cream-cake-instruct.gif
    I took this to a party and everyone was amazed. Even my hubby, who didn't want to try rhubarb, loved it. I had to stay away from the dessert table!!
    Rhubarb Cream Cake
    I could not get this cake out of my brain, so I made a second one with blueberries. No special occasion for that one, so I took it to my daughter's play practice and gave out pieces to the other parents.
    Have you ever eaten rhubarb? Would you try this?
    ・ DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS ・

    Featured

    Followers

    Total Pageviews

    Powered by Blogger.